Brain dump (or rather Internet dump) wrt warlocks.
Originally from Warlock forums (Sovnade of Nathrezim) http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=106663102&sid=1&pageNo=1
First, here’s the theorycraft approved way of attaining the max possible dps as affliction.
1. Keep all 5 dots up at all times. Try to have them recasted the instant they wear off. Be careful not to overwrite a dot before the last tick though, since you’ll lose DPS that way. [correction: you lose mana efficientcy, dps stays the same]
2. Try to limit your lifetap/dark pacts to when all 5 dots are up and have enough time left on them that you wont have any dot downtime due to the global cooldown. This usually means sneaking in a life tap once every 3ish spells, as you’ll see me do.
3. Every possible second you’re not renewing dots or life tapping, you should be shadow bolting.
4. If for example your UA/Corr combo has 3 seconds left (I cast them together for ease of timing), it’s better to cast a shadow bolt, then renew UA/Corr, rather than idle until there’s 1.5 seconds left and recast. Sounds obvious, but I see a lot of people skipping sbolts here and there to renew dots exactly as they expire.
5. UA -> Corr -> Immo is bad. Immo -> UA -> Corr is good. If you use Immo last, all 3 dots will expire at exactly the same time, so you are guaranteed to have some dot downtime no matter what you do. If you use immo first, it will expire first, so you have an easier time avoiding the downtime.
Drain Tanking Guide: http://www.freewarcraftguides.com/warlock_powerleveling_guide.php
10-14: 5/5 Imp Corruption
15: 1/5 Demonic Embrace
16-18: 3/3 Imp Imp (For the instances you should be running right now)
19: 2/5 Demonic Embrace
20-22: Imp VW
23-25: 5/5 Demonic Embrace
26: 1/1 Fel Domination
27-29: 3/5 Fel Stamina
Level 29 Spec