See the first part here.
Part I summary: dots run a long time. Trash dies in a short time. Using dots on trash means they die before the dot has time to go bang. To get more bang for your buck be smart about killing trash and do it different from bosses and grinding.
Part II: That’s all well and good.. but now I’m finding that Lilac is stuck at ~550 dps. I’m just not able to break past that and I really think I should. MaxDPS says that based on her spec/gear/+spell/crit Lilac should be getting 1,014.5 dps. Buh! That’s almost double what I’m actually seeing. So according to that.. I’m just sucking hind teat.
Her spec/gear is here:
Big Girl Panties
I have another set of clothes called my “Trash Clothes” but I don’t have them in Warcrafter yet (and can’t completely remember what’s in the set).. but for instances they’re currently not an issue. For a while I was switching clothes depending on whether it was a boss fight or a trash fight.. but I found that too often I’d get done with a boss fight and find that I’d forgotten to put on my “Big Girl Panties”. So now I’m running all instances with my +spell hit clothes on just to make sure that I have the proper spell hit for the boss fights. This would gimp my DPS a bit in non-boss fights.. as my trash clothes have an additional ~+30 spell damage.. but for now I’m ok with that. In my “Big Girl Panties” I’m at 199 spell hit.
I don’t wanna respec into destruction. If you can imagine me stomping around the room and then throwing myself on the ground drumming my heels and fists on the ground you would only get a small inkling of how much I DON’T WANT TO RESPEC DESTRUCTION!** So I’m going to stay Affliction. Yes, this means that I’m spec’d fully into Malediction and Shadow Embrace.
For most trash my rotation is: Instant Corruption, Curse of Agony, Immolate/Unstable Affliction (Immolate if it’s a -very- short fight, UA if it’s a slightly longer fight), SB until dead, Drain Soul if I need a soul stone.
For groups of non-elite trash (ex: dancers/tables in Kara) my rotation is: Seed, seed, seed, seed.
For hard trash my rotation is: Instant Corruption, Curse of Agony, Siphon Life, Immolate, Unstable Affliction, SB until refresh Corruption, and Immolate, then SB until dead, Drain Soul if I need a soul stone.
For Bosses my rotation is: Appropriate curse*, Corruption, Siphon Life, Immolate, Unstable Affliction, SB between refreshing of dots until I think it’s ~10 seconds from boss dying, then let dots drop and SB only.
- Things to improve DPS:
- Get to spell hit cap (I’m at 199 so this isn’t the problem) (Once you’re past 64 spell hit rating it really only increases your DPS against bosses)
- Get good +spell damage (I’m at 1023 on Shadow Spells and 844 on Fire Spells. This seems respectable to me)(be sure to keep Fel Armor up.. it adds +100 spell damage)
- Use your trinkets (I have the trinket usage macro’d. Whenever I cast corruption or CoA it triggers my trinkets. I may add this trigger to my SB spells as well.)
- Use your special abilities (I have Amplifiy Curse built into the appropriate macros for the curses it effects. I can’t think of any other toggled abilities I have.)
- Use proper consumables (I’ve been a bit lax here. At the start of a run I’m good about doing this.. but I haven’t been real diligent about re-applying after deaths. When I’m good I’m using [Blackened Basilisk], [Elixir of Major Shadow Power], [Superior Wizard Oil] for a total of +118 shadow +65 fire)
- Use the appropriate spells (This is one of those open questions. I’m not entirely certain that I’m using the most efficient damage spells. I need to dig into this. I have a feeling that Siphon Life is only worth casting in a high movement battle (or when I need the heals).. and that cast time would be better spent casting a Shadow Bolt.. Same thing for Immolate. Since I’m focused on +shadow damage I’m not sure it’s worthwhile to keep Immolate up… but I haven’t yet proved that mathematically.)
- Keep dots up (In addition to the above this is where I think I’m having the most problem. I know I’m re-dotting.. but I’m not sure it’s the most efficient re-dotting strategy. I put the dot up and then as I see it run out I re-dot.)
Am I missing anything?
* In cases where there’s another warlock or a mage in the group I’m casting Curse of Shadow on the boss.. but in non-boss fights (or where I’m the only warlock) I’ve been using Curse of Agony (when I do cast a curse). Curse of Doom is pretty much only used on Curator (cast at ~55 sec before evocation).
**For me the elegance that is a warlock comes from the fine dance of dots, curses and using the right pet. The Raiding DESTRUCTION spec is reduced to maybe one curse (Curse of Shadows), one damaging spell (Shadow Bolt) and using their pet only to INSTAKILL it for a +spell buff. I don’t wanna do it. I don’t wanna do it. I don’t wanna do it. AND YOU CAN’T MAKE ME!