So.. I will be lazily participating in ProBlogger’s 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Project. Hereafter referred to as “31 Days”
You asked: Ms. Nib, why do you say lazy?
I’m glad you asked. I don’t blog on weekends. That’s the same reason I haven’t ever officially participated in NaNoWriMo. I’m not interested in signing up to blog on weekends. So I won’t do it.. so 31 Days will be more like 31 Days minus weekends.
Assignment #1: Elevator Pitch
So ok.. here’s the assignment. I run into someone in the elevator. They ask me “Do you blog?” and instead of glaring at them and telling them to mind their own damn business I say “Yes.” They ask “What do you blog about?”
At this point.. I’m kinda stuck. Even with an audience of 11M players WoW is still a niche. I can’t guarantee the knowledge of elevator companion.
Normally I’d respond “I blog about the World of Warcraft, an online multi-player game with 11M players” and leave it at that. If they know about the game they’ll make some kind of “Oh, I know what you’re talking about” response and then I’d elaborate. Otherwise they look at me like I’m eating broken glass and I just let it drop.
So.. let’s assume I’m at .. Blizzcon.. and I -know- everyone in my elevator is a raving Blizz fanboi and I want to convince them to read my blog. What would I say to them…
Points I want to hit:
– World of Warcraft (if you’re looking for Warhammer/Starcraft/Diablo, move on)
– Dedicated player (…)
– Warlock primarily (’cause if you don’t want to hear about warlockery you’re at the wrong blog)
– Theorycrafting (’cause sometimes I just gotta belt out the numbers)
– Bringing a funny (impish) slant to everything. (well.. except for the rants).
– It used to be important to me that I hit the “girl gamer” note.. I’m not so sure that’s terribly important to me anymore.. in fact comments on YouTube that marvel at the fact that I’m a girl just make me roll my eyes.
– I also write alot about UI and addons.. and although that hasn’t been a focus.. it is something I want to bring more into the blog.
– did I miss any points? Why are -you- here?
“My blog, Mystic Chicanery, is a World of Warcraft blog about warlockery, theorycrafting, and bringing humor into every gaming situation.”
Yawn. The thing about that is.. OMG it’s boring. I mean like.. I almost fell asleep just writing it. -I- wouldn’t want to read that blog.. so.. boring.. can’t keep eyes open.. AND I like my current tagline, “Impish by nature,” better than the above statement. So maybe that needs shining.
“Mystic Chicanery is a plainspoken whimsical theorycrafting blog digging into the bowels of warlockery, casual raiding and UI design.”
I like this one better.. but I still like “Impish by nature” better.. but this has substance… hmm.. can you be both plainspoken and whimsical at the same time?
Looking for “candid/plainspoken/tell it straight up with no frills” and yet “whimsical/funny/humorous/with an impish slant on all things”. Not sure how to capture both of those ideas and not sound contradictory.
Hmm.. maybe if I leave “plainspoken” out.
“Mystic Chicanery is a whimsical theorycrafting blog digging into the depths of warlockery, casual raiding and UI design.”
This will do for now. What do you think?