So Deathwing (crazy corrupted dragon aspect of earth who’s be touched in a bad way by demons and Old Gods) busts out the ceiling of Deepholm (elemental plane of earth) and brings about the Cataclysm. I’m sure there’s more to it.. because poking a hole in the ceiling should not cause such drastic environmental changes as we see in the Cataclysm Trailer.. but it does. Maybe it’s because he’s bridging the elemental planes of existence into the world of Azeroth. You know.. crossing the streams and all.
Anyway, after being static for 5 years.. suddenly everything is going to change.
Fact: Every land currently in old Azeroth (1-60) is going to change and 7 new lands will be added. There will also be new race/class combinations.. and two new races (worgen and goblin)
– Pets are dropped in old Azeroth zones. Wonder if some of those might not be in that zone (or in the game) anymore.
– Is this going to be a totally new 1-60 experience? Will all the old quests be gone? Wonder if this means you’ll need to complete Loremaster before the expansion.
– Is this going to effect all the old dungeons? If so, wonder if you’ll need to completed Dungeon/Raidmaster before the expansion.
– At Blizzcon they showed us a new leveling progression map.. that was -totally- different from how you’d progress now. This leads me to think it’ll all be new.
– So.. it might be worth while to make one-last alt in order to experience old Azeroth for the last time.
– With the additional race/class combinations and the two new races I think Cataclysm is poised to be more about “leveling” than being at level cap. By adding these new options AND completely revamping the questing experience they’ve almost guaranteed a huge influx of people into the 1-60 zones. This is a HUGE benefit to new players.
Fact: A lot of the currently used stats (Spell power, Attack power, MP5, Armor Penetration… ) are going away and base stats are being revamped.
– I’m super excited about this. I’m tired of having to consult spreadsheets and addons in order to be able to tell if one piece of gear is an upgrade over another.
– They said that offensive casters (warlocks, mage) will not value Spirit (the new mana regen stat). Instead we’ll value Int. I take this to mean that something either inherent or in our talent trees will translate Int into (essentially) spellpower. I’m also very hopeful that this will allow Warlocks to get back to stacking Sta/Int and get less fragile than our Magely brothers.
– I am a little concerned that this further homogenizes the gear.. and will make us all look the same.. I’ll wait and see though.
– They also said that they weren’t adding more talents to the tree.. but I do get the feeling that the talents will get an almost complete overhaul.
Fact: Warlocks and their use of Soul Stones will be revamped. Hunters will also get a touch up. Blizz will also introduce “Path of the Titans”, Archeology and “Mastery”. See also Cross-server Looking For Guild.. and Cross-server Looking for Group.
I’m reserving judgement on all of this at this time. There just isn’t really enough information to get all up in arms or to start celebrating.